このブログを検索

2026年8月18日火曜日

死者たち(クリス・ヘッジズ)

 

クリス・ヘッジスの、泣かせる記事。米国にはお盆のような形での墓参りの習慣はないときくが、日本のお盆に相応しい記事と言えるかもしれない。




◼️クリス・ヘッジス「死者たち」2026817

死の最後の行為は、生の終わりではなく、記憶の消滅である。

The Dead, CHRIS HEDGES AUG 17, 2026

The last act of death is not mortality but the erasure of memory.

メイン州メカニック・フォールズ――私は今、メイン州メカニック・フォールズにあるメープル・グローブ墓地に立っている。目の前、ほんの数フィートの範囲に、長方形の花崗岩でできた墓石が3つ並んでいる。そこにはそれぞれ「HEDGES(ヘッジズ)」「BLAIR(ブレア)」「PRINCE(プリンス)」と刻まれている。


そこには、私の両親、祖父母、そして2人の叔父と1人の叔母が眠っている。草は枯れ、黄色く変色している​​。それぞれの墓石の脇には、丸い金属製のホルダーに小さな星条旗が差されているが、どれも少し傾いている。


男性たちは皆、第二次世界大戦の退役軍人だった。父は陸軍の軍曹として北アフリカや中東に赴いた。エルズワース叔父は商船隊に所属し、北大西洋の輸送船団を往復した。モリス叔父はソロモン諸島のガダルカナル島やフィリピンのルソン島で戦い、負傷した。祖父のフィリップ・プリンスは陸軍の曹長で、テキサス州で兵士の訓練にあたっていた。


退役軍人であるという点を除けば、これらの墓所から得られる情報はほとんどない。父の場合は「トーマス・ヘッジズ牧師」と記されているが、女性たち――英文学の教授だった母を含む彼女たち――については、身元を示すものは何もないに等しい。名前と、生没年月日だけだ。


死してなお、家父長制が支配しているのだ。


国家の戦争機構への奉仕は、とりわけこうした小さな田舎町において、最高の地位をもたらすものとされる。もっとも、父やモリス叔父は戦争や軍隊をひどく嫌っていたのだが。モリス叔父は南太平洋から帰還した後、身体的・精神的な傷に苦しみながら酒に溺れ、やがて死に至った。父は他の親族とは違い、家に銃を置くことを拒んだ。戦後は平和主義者となり、ベトナム戦争の際には反戦運動家として活動した。私が少年の頃、父はこう言ったものだ。もし私が18歳になった時にまだベトナム戦争が続いていて、徴兵されたとしたら、自分も一緒に刑務所に入ると。


私の中には、父と私が独房にいるその光景が焼き付いている。

悲しみや喪失感を覚える。だが、それだけではない。彼らは私の意識の中で大きな存在感を放っている。夢の中に現れることもある。彼らは、私たちの家族が私たちに刻み込んだ巨大な痕跡――良くも悪くも――を背負っているのだ。


私は彼らの顔や声を思い起こすことができる。人生のささやかで取るに足らない瞬間が、まるで昔の映画のフィルムのように、私の頭の中で再生される。祖父と出かけたマス釣りの川。エルズワース叔父さんと共に挑んだ、メイン州沿岸の凍てつく水辺でのカモ猟。父の説教の間、硬い木製の長椅子に座っていたこと。母とよく言い合った、ウィリアム・フォークナーをめぐる議論――私は彼を愛していたが、母はそうではなかった。小柄でとびきりユーモアのセンスがあった祖母が、エプロン姿で白い陶製のコンロに向かい、フレンチトーストを焼いていた光景。祖父母の家の小さな食卓に座っていた、身なりが乱れ、酒の匂いを漂わせていたモリス叔父さん――家族の中で酒を飲むのは彼だけだった。そして、ミリアムおばさん――私たちは「ミムおばさん」と呼んでいた――には子供がいなかったが、姉と兄と私をとても可愛がってくれた。


MECHANIC FALLS, Maine — I am standing in Maple Grove Cemetery in Mechanic Falls, Maine. In front of me, within a radius of a few feet, are three rectangular granite headstones that read “HEDGES,” “BLAIR” and “PRINCE.”

Before me lie the remains of my parents, grandparents, two uncles and my aunt. The grass is parched and yellowed. There are small American flags placed in round metal holders, slightly askew, next to each gravestone.

All of the men were World War II veterans. My father was an Army sergeant in North Africa and the Middle East. Uncle Ellsworth was in the Merchant Marine and went back and forth in the North Atlantic convoys. Uncle Morris fought on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands and Luzon in the Philippines, where he was wounded. My grandfather, Philip Prince, an Army master sergeant, trained troops in Texas.

Besides being identified as veterans, there is little information available from these plots, although my father is named as the Rev. Thomas Hedges. The women, including my mother, who was an English professor, have almost nothing to identify them. Their names. Their dates of birth and death.

Patriarchy rules, even in death.


Service to the war machine of the state confers the ultimate status, especially in small, rural towns, although my father and Uncle Morris loathed war and the military. Uncle Morris returned from the South Pacific and drank himself to death as he struggled with physical and emotional wounds. My father, unlike my other relatives, refused to have a gun in the house. He became a pacifist after the war and an anti-war activist during the war on Vietnam. He told me as a boy that if the Vietnam War was still being fought when I was 18, and if I was drafted, he would go to prison with me.

I carry that image, my father and I, in a cell.

I feel grief and loss. But I also feel something else. These individuals loom large in my consciousness. They visit me in dreams. They carry the gargantuan imprint our immediate family makes on us, for good or ill.

I can summon up their faces and voices.


Small, insignificant moments in our lives, like old-time movie reels, play in my head. Fishing in trout streams with my grandfather. Duck hunting in icy waters on the Maine coast with Uncle Ellsworth. Sitting in a hard wooden pew during my father’s sermons. Arguing with my mother — which I did frequently — about William Faulkner, who I loved and who she did not. My slight and wickedly funny grandmother in her apron, cooking French toast on the white porcelain stove. Uncle Morris, disheveled and seated at my grandparents’ small kitchen table, his breath smelling of alcohol, which no one else in our family drank. Aunt Miriam, who we called Auntie Mim, who had no children and who doted on my sister, brother and me.


私はずっと作家になりたいと思っていた。


私がまだ字を読めない頃から、母は私の作った物語をタイプで打ち、ホッチキスで留めて小さな冊子にしてくれていたものだ。祖父母の家(祖母の死後まもなく火事で焼失してしまったが)に着くと、私は二階へ駆け上がり、バーズアイ・メープル材の裁縫用テーブルの上に、黄色のリーガルパッドと、きれいに削られた鉛筆が整然と並べられているのを見つけたものだった。


田舎の地域社会では、昼食こそが一日で一番の食事であり、夕食ではない。食事の時間になると、祖母は狭い階段の下から「クリスタファ」と声を張り上げたものだ。親戚たちの話し方に色濃く残る、あの独特なメイン州の訛りで。


赤い木造の納屋――子供の頃、太い梁からブランコが吊るされ、祖父と一緒に釣り用の毛針(フライ)を手作りしたあの場所――は、今では壊れた木材の山と化している。


祖父は、フィルターなしのキャメルを1日に1箱吸い、85歳で――予想通り、肺気腫で――亡くなったが、その納屋で「プリンス虫除け(Prince’s Insect Repellent)」を調合していたものだ。彼はそれを小さな琥珀色のガラス瓶に詰め、銃砲店や釣り具店に卸していた。


ある日の午後、彼は私を納屋に連れ出し、聖書に手を置かせた。

「この配合を誰にも決して漏らさないと誓え」と、彼は厳かに言った。

私は誓った。


さらに彼は、自分の娘である母にも決して明かさないよう、念を押して誓わせた。彼の支配的な性格と、それに対する母の強烈な抵抗ゆえに、二人の関係は緊張に満ちたものだったのだ。

愛とは不完全なものだ。


私はメープル・グローブ墓地に一人でいる。何ものにも邪魔されることなく、何もない空間に向かって語りかけることができる。私は彼らに愛していると伝える。会いたくてたまらないと伝える。


、私たちの人生におけるいくつかの劇的な出来事の記憶を抱えている。だが何よりも、日々のありふれたやり取りの記憶を抱えているのだ――死によって神聖なものへと変えられた、あの何気ない日常の記憶を。


I always wanted to be a writer.

My mother, even before I could read, would type up my stories and staple them together in little pamphlets. When I arrived at my grandparents’ house, which burned down shortly after my grandmother died, I would climb upstairs to find yellow legal pads and neat rows of sharpened pencils laid out on a birdseye maple sewing table.

Lunch in rural communities is the big meal. Not dinner. My grandmother, when it was time to eat, would shout up the narrow stairs, “Christafa,” in the thick Maine accent that colored the speech of my relatives.

The red wooden barn, where swings hung from the thick beams for us as children and where I hand-tied fishing flies with my grandfather, is a pile of broken timber.

My grandfather, who smoked a pack of unfiltered Camel cigarettes a day and died at 85, unsurprisingly, of emphysema, would mix batches of Prince’s Insect Repellent in the barn. He poured it into small amber-colored glass bottles to sell to gun and tackle shops.


One afternoon, he took me out to the barn and made me put my hand on a Bible.

“Swear you will never tell this formula to anyone,” he intoned.

I promised.

He then made me doubly swear not to divulge it to my mother, his daughter. They had a fraught relationship, given his domineering personality and my mother’s formidable resistance.

Love is imperfect.

I am alone in the Maple Grove Cemetery. There is nothing to stop me from speaking to the empty space. I tell them I love them. I tell them I miss them.

I carry memories of a few dramatic intervals in our lives. Mostly, I carry mundane interactions of daily existence, which death makes sacred.





ソーントン・ワイルダーの戯曲『わが町(Our Town)』は、1901年から1913年にかけてのニューハンプシャー州グローヴァーズ・コーナーズという架空の町を舞台にしている。劇中で、エミリー・ギブスは26歳で第二子を出産する際に亡くなり、町の墓地で死者たちの仲間入りをする。彼女は周囲の死者たちの忠告を押し切り、ある幸せな一日を追体験するために現世へと戻る。


彼女が戻るのは、12歳の誕生日の日だ。夜明けの時刻である。かつての知り合いたちに話しかけても、彼らには彼女の姿も見えず、声も聞こえない。


「もう耐えられないわ」とエミリーは、自分の誕生日の祝いの光景を見つめながら言う。「みんな、なんて若くて美しいのかしら。どうして年をとらなきゃいけなかったの?」


「ああ、お母さん」と彼女は懇願する。「ほんの少しでいいから、私を本当に見ているように、私を見て。お母さん、もう14年も経ったのよ。私は死んでしまったの。お母さんはおばあちゃんになったのよ。私はジョージ・ギブスと結婚したの。ウォーリーも死んでしまったわ。ノース・コンウェイへのキャンプ旅行で、盲腸が破裂したのよ。私たちは本当に辛い思いをしたわ……覚えてない? でも、今こうして、ほんの一瞬だけ私たちは一緒にいる。お母さん、ほんの一瞬だけ幸せなの。お互いの顔を見つめ合いましょう」


「できないわ」と彼女は続ける。「もう無理よ。時はあまりに早く過ぎていく。お互いを見つめ合う時間なんてないのね」


エミリーはたまらず泣き崩れる。

「私を連れ戻して――丘の上へ――私のお墓へ」とエミリーは言う。「でもその前に、待って! もう一度だけ見させて」


彼女は左へ、客席の向こう側へと目をやり、それから右へと視線を移す。

「さようなら、さようなら、世界」と彼女は言う。「さようなら、グローヴァーズ・コーナーズ……お母さん、お父さん。時計の刻む音にもさようなら……お母さんのひまわりにも。食事やコーヒーにも。アイロンをかけたばかりのドレスや、温かいお風呂にも……眠ることや目覚めることにも。ああ、地球よ、あなたはあまりにも素晴らしすぎて、誰もその本当の姿に気づけないのね」


エミリーと他の死者たちは、グローヴァーズ・コーナーズの空に星が輝き始めるのを眺めている。彼女は、彼らの言葉に耳を傾けるべきだったと認める。


戻ってきたのは間違いだったのだ。


「ああ、今ならわかるだろう」と、辛辣でアルコールに溺れた聖歌隊指揮者サイモン・スティムソンがエミリーに言う。「今ならわかるはずだ! 生きるとはそういうことだったんだ。無知という雲の中で動き回り、周囲の人々の感情を踏みにじりながら生きていくこと。まるで百万年もの時間があるかのように、時間を浪費すること。常に、あれこれの身勝手な情熱に翻弄されること。今ならわかるだろう――それこそがお前が戻りたがっていた『幸せな』生だったのだ。無知と盲目さ、それだけの生だったんだ」


「サイモン・スティムソン」と、エミリーの義母であるギブス夫人が言う。「それは真実のすべてじゃないわ。あなただってわかっているはずよ」


エミリーの夫ジョージが墓地にやってくる。彼は彼女の墓に身を投げ出す。言葉は発しない。

「彼らにはわからないのね」とエミリーが言う。

「ええ、あなた」とギブス夫人が答える。「わからないのよ」


Thornton Wilder’s play Our Town is set in the fictional town of Grover's Corners, New Hampshire between 1901 and 1913. In the play Emily Gibbs dies at 26 giving birth to her second child. She joins the dead in the town cemetery. She defies the advice of the departed townspeople around her and returns to earth to relive one happy day.

She goes back to the day of her 12th birthday. It is dawn. 

No one from her past can see or hear her as she speaks to them.

“I can’t bear it,” Emily says as she watches her birthday celebration. “They’re so young and beautiful. Why did they ever have to get old?”

“Oh, Mama,” she implores, “just look at me one minute as though you really saw me. Mama, fourteen years have gone by. I’m dead. You’re a grandmother, Mama. I married George Gibbs, Mama. Wally’s dead, too. Mama, his appendix burst on a camping trip to North Conway. We felt just terrible about it — don’t you remember? But, just for a moment now we’re all together. Mama, just for a moment we’re happy. Let’s look at one another.”


“I can’t,” she goes on. “I can’t go on. It goes so fast. We don’t have time to look at one another.”

Emily breaks down sobbing.

“Take me back — up the hill — to my grave,” Emily says. “But first: Wait! One more look.”

She looks left, out past the audience and then to the right.

“Good-by, Good-by, world,” she says. “Good-by, Grover’s Corners...Mama and Papa. Good-by to clocks ticking…and Mama’s sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths…and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you’re too wonderful for anybody to realize you.”


Emily and the other spirits watch the stars come out over Grover’s Corners. She admits she should have listened to them.

It was a mistake to return.

“Yes, now you know,” Simon Stimson, the bitter, alcoholic choirmaster, tells Emily. “Now you know! That’s what it was to be alive. To move about in a cloud of ignorance; to go up and down trampling on the feelings of those…of those about you. To spend and waste time as though you had a million years. To be always at the mercy of one self-centered passion, or another. Now you know — that’s the happy existence you wanted to go back to. Ignorance and blindness.”

“Simon Stimson,” Emily’s mother-in-law Mrs. Gibbs says, “that ain’t the whole truth and you know it.”

Emily’s husband George comes to the cemetery. He throws himself on her grave. He does not speak.

“They don’t understand, do they?” Emily says.

“No dear,” Mrs. Gibbs says. “They don’t understand.”


メープル・グローヴ墓地は夕闇に包まれている。立ち去る時が来た。


私の世代もまた、前の世代の後に続くだろう。これこそが、いにしえより続く生の営みのリズムなのだ。


死は、私たちが想像するよりも早く訪れる。それは、私たちにとって最も大切なものをすべて奪い去ってしまう。私は死者たちを心に抱いて生きている。私自身が旅立つその時まで、彼らを抱き続けるだろう。彼らは、生者に対する私の務めを思い出させてくれる。詩人や賢者たちが説くように、命は神聖なものであり、愛は常に尊ばれるべきものであり、私たちの生は束の間のことであり、人間は脆い存在であり、いつか私たちが抱く記憶も消え去り、私たちは塵から作られ、やがて塵に還るのだということを、彼らは思い出させてくれるのだ。


生きなさい――死者たちはそう囁く。生きられるうちに。


It is dusk in Maple Grove Cemetery. It is time to leave.


My generation will follow the generation before me. This is the ancient rhythm of existence.


Death comes faster than we imagine. It robs us of all that is most precious. I carry these dead with me. I will carry them until I, too, depart. They remind me of my obligation to the living. They remind me, as the poets and sages tell us, that life is sacred, that love must always be honored, that our existence is brief, that human beings are fragile, that one day the memories we carry will vanish, that we are made from dust, and to dust we will return.


Live, the dead whisper, while you can.





こういったことを書く人は、いや書ける人は、日本にもいるんだろうが、今はきわめて少なくなったね。親族の構成が小さくなったせいもあるだろうし、権威としての父が死んだせいかもしれない。


父の死[La mort du Père]は、文学から多くの快楽を奪うだろう。「父」がいなければ、物語を語っても、何になろう。物語はすべてエディプスに帰着するのではなかろうか。物語るとは、常に、起源を求め、「掟」との紛争を語り、愛と憎しみの弁証法に入ることではなかろうか。今日、エディプスと物語が同時に揺らいでいる。もう愛さない。もう恐れない。もう語らない。フィクションとしてのエディプスは少なくとも何かの役には立っていた。よい小説を作ることの、上手に物語ることの。

La mort du Père enlèvera à la littérature beaucoup de ses plaisirs. S'il n'y a plus de Père, à quoi bon raconter des histoires? Tout récit ne se ramène-t-il pas à l'Œdipe? Raconter, n'est-ce pas toujours chercher son origine, dire ses démêlés avec la Loi, entrer dans la dialectique de l'attendrissement et de la haine ? Aujourd'hui on balance d'un même coup l'Œdipe et le récit : on n'aime plus, on ne craint plus, on ne raconte plus. Comme fiction, l'Œdipe servait au moins à quelque chose : à faire de bons romans, à bien raconter .

(ロラン・バルト『テクストの快楽』1973年)